The inside - or - How I discovered my G.I.D. genius (Gastropod Interior Decor).
Bearing in mind that Sam and James were still waiting to be discharged from the dustbin, I needed to prepare a 5 star dwelling for their early transfer to their new and magnificent stately home.
The very first need is for calcium so that Cornu aspersum can support its shell growth and repair. This is an absolute necessity. Next it needs moss and substrate to burrow under and feel cosy. I chose to give them cuttlebone for calcium so that they could graze on it as much as they need and realised that there is a softer side which should be uppermost for easy rasping. A quick scrape with a finger nail determines which side is which. Sphagnum moss was my choice for carpeting, both the clumpy type and a flatter variety which retains moisture well.
I buy all I need, wherever possible, from Blades Biological in Edenbridge because everything is top quality and they have helpful ladies answering the phone on:01342 850242. They are a totally reliable and responsible firm.
Next comes substrate and here I went against convention. I did use coco coir but didn't put it under the moss because I have arthritis and it would be more difficult to keep it clean. I piled it into a separate box within the vivarium and my lovely, compliant snails do climb in there to nestle and to lay their eggs - by and large! It came in a block which I had to expand in water: back to childhood and making mud pies.
The fun bit is decorating the interior. I already had some attractive stones from nearby Welsh hills and so I all I needed to do was go to my local park to collect fallen sticks and bark - which I soaked for several days to remove any toxins. All the time I asked myself how I could replicate their natural surroundings - and I avoided gimmicks.
Snails love climbing and so I bought some hanging artificial vines from a reptile supply firm and a trellis as an oblique frame propped securely between two sides of the vivarium. They love these but - just to let me know they are in control - still test their skills by sliding up the vertical smooth walls to perch.upside down on the lid. The one to scale the highest is called Sir Edmund because it's an Everest to him.
In the next exciting episode I will describe the transfer from dustbin to paradise. Plus, how it didn't stop there and I ended up with 3 vivariums and about 24 snails.