Having set up my vivariums and welcomed my new snails to their new, damp, 5* living, I gave much thought on what to feed them. Although they love cucumber, it contains little of nutritive value and is said to be addictive. I have asked them repeatedly if any have this bad habit and they unanimously refuse to reply - but there must be better snail whisperers than I who know their dark secret. Lettuce is more wholesome, but not Iceberg which is almost all water. I go for the darker varieties such as Romaine. I was so anxious to build up my juveniles that I decided to grow organic Romaine especially for them. All that remains in the morning is the central spine thing (of the lettuce, not the invertebrates) and some very grateful, plump snails.
A galvanised bucket was perfect for the task. |
They also enjoy carrots, blanched for 3 minutes in the microwave and cut into appropriate portions. The odd thing here is that they seem to dig a hole in it rather than rasp the surface with their radula. (More of that astonishing bit of their anatomy in another post). On the plus side, carrot turns their poop a startling, vibrant orange, which they carefully place in surprising quantities around the vivarium for maximum artistic effect - and difficulty for me in cleaning.
(On the photo, you can see Amanda eating aubergine. Because she gorges unduly, it has an unfortunate effect on her tendency to flatulence, which discourages sensitive Berowne from a relationship with her. More about this, in limericks, on The Escargatoire thread).
Not much left for the others when Amanda has finished. |
So much for my successes. Cornua aspersa (as I call them when I am displeased with them) should love courgettes but mine will not touch them, along with other items that are good for them. I haven't the heart to keep them hungry in the hope that they will eat them but, if they do not munch the organic clover I am growing for next year, I shall subject them to a very stern lecture. My theory is that, because they are British and patriotic, they favour foods with British names (or, at a pinch, U.S.). Aubergine is also egg plant but courgette is blatantly all French and we know what they do with snails.