Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Water, water everywhere - but is it dechlorinated?

Sadly, both Sam and James had but a short stay in their new home and soon died. Their life in the dustbin had weakened them and Sam had a worrying bit of loose shell. A snail can repair its own carapace (see my post explaining how) but perhaps he was too old or damaged to do this. He went first and his loyal friend followed soon afterwards. Both were buried with a brief but appropriately dignified ceremony in the heuchera garden nearby. 


R.I.P Samuel and James

I decided to buy more snails from my trusted suppliers, Blades Biological in Edenbridge and I quite soon ended up with three vivariums and 24 snails. Do not ask me why so many - but my alter-ego, Doc Barbara, always insists that I over-do everything. Whilst waiting for their arrival I investigated the whole matter of keeping them sufficiently damp.


Ready for action

Here you see the method, in this sub-surrealist, post-ultra-modernist, neo-concretist portrait of my spray bottles. Why 3? Because they never work at the same time and all go on strike when required to mist downwards. But now to the main question.

Before you fill your temperamental bottles you must find out how your water board treats your water. This is easy to discover by visiting their website.  If they use chlorine only, you are in luck. All you need to do is let any water stand for 24 hours in an open container and the chlorine will evaporate leaving the water safe for your snails. If they use chloramine, you will have to buy a product to render it suitable. 

How often you mist depends on the weather: during the heatwaves of 2026, I sprayed 4 to 5 times a day, always checking the moisture in the moss by pressing the back of my fisted knuckle onto the moss. It should be quite damp but not sodden. In very warm weather I spray the sides and even the lid of the vivarium to make it feel like natural rain.

My snails then arrived (carefully packed with a cabbage leaf) emerged from their special bag with joy, enthusiasm and vigour, examined their new surroundings with feelers waving - and then slept for 3 weeks in deep satisfaction and security.  They had decided to stay. 


Two cuddling up for comfort.

Meanwhile I kept misting. And misting and more misting. I even dreamed about it and wondered if the time had come for me to get a life beyond snails!

Hibernation or A Winter's Snail

  When the temperature drops in autumn, a wild garden snail will enter a state of dormancy to protect itself. Cornu aspersum can survive the...